Are you one of those women who consider tan skin aesthetically pleasant and wish to achieve your desired tan skin with the safest ways possible? Or Are you still a newbie to self-tanners and feel reluctant to try one on your skin, despite of being a fan of tan skin? If yes, then it is high time to get over your fears because luckily we have made it stress-free to solve your dilemma by providing all the relevant information about sunless tanning at one place. So, sit down. Grab a cup of coffee and read on to know everything about self-tanning.
Top Rated Self-Tanners of 2017
Here is the list of four best sunless tanners on Amazon.
Tanning methods have immensely progressed through the years and have become readily available regardless of the location or geography of the consumers. Knowing the details about self and sunless tanning methods and products available, is chiefly important because you don’t want to turn yourself into an orange drink mix which is why you need to look for the best self-tanners to achieve your anticipated end result.
What are the Nitty-Gritties of Self-Tanning?
The first thing is to familiarize yourself with the science behind the working of self-tanners and the concept behind sunless tanning. You must have wondered at some point that how tanning turns your skin darker for a temporary period of time. This is because, dihydroxyacetone (DHA) is the active ingredient in most of the sunless tanning lotions.
DHA is basically sugar interacted with protein particles and amino acid. This interaction causes the pigment which given the ‘tan’ look, DHA itself is not a dye or stain. The easiest way to understand the reaction is by help of the example of an apple, which changes color and becomes brown once cut and left exposed for a while to oxygen. DHA can be obtained by manufacturing it synthetically or by deriving it from natural products like cane sugar or beet.
Sunless tanning products are widely available in different forms including lotions, sprays, towels, creams and wipes. The typical self-tanning lotions contain 3% to 5% of DHA, which bronzes the top layer of consumer’s skin. The coloring effect is temporary and the tan color fades most probably in 7-10 days.
Just as any other product, let your common sense and the popular reviews from experts be your guide to choose a self-tanning lotion wisely. If you decide to use a self-tanning lotion, you need to consider skipping the tan sprays completely. Limit your use of sunless tanning creams to special occasions only. In addition to that, pick a worthy product. Choosing the best self-tanning lotion is not possible without doing a rigorous research before making your purchase.
Most drugstore varieties of self-tanners contain harsh ingredients which can cause reaction to your skin. Using a random product may expose you to hormone disrupters and carcinogens. Always look for a self-tanner which is made up of natural botanical constituents.
Best Self-Tanner Reviews
The last thing anyone would prefer to hear after opting for a self-tanner is the famous Oompa-Loompa song. Nothing is worse than doing an extra effort to avoid sun only to end up being a victim of too orange self-tanning product, winding up with dark and streaky elbows and legs. This is the sole reason you need to go through our list of tried and tested self-tanning products for attaining the sunless tanning effect.
Here, you can find a brief review on the best self-tanners accessible on Amazon which will prove to tremendously beneficial for you to get a fair idea about selecting the best sunless tanner for yourself.
1. Rodan and Fields Self Tanner
- Provides a subtle tan effect.
- Absorbs quickly in skin.
- Its dual action formula help scavenge free radicals.
Who doesn’t want to choose a self-tanner which is safe from poisonous reactions and acne breakouts? Rodan and Fields Self Tanner should be your pick because it is made under the supervision of actual dermatologists.
Here is a quick summary of the features of Rodan and Fields self-tanner.
- It rightfully claims to help you achieve an even and natural looking tan without any harmful effects.
- The product is oil free and is light in weight.
- Rodan and Fields sunless tanner dries quickly as compared to the other tanning products which is a big plus.
- Easy to apply and has pleasant smell.
- The product contains vitamin C and E which make it the dual action self-tanner.
- It has the RF-Dcell technology which help in extending the duration of the sunless tan.
- The tan color starts to develop on your skin after 2 to 4 hours of application.
- Doesn’t turn your skin tone to be super orangey. Gives a subtle tan effect not a super darker one.
- Absorbs quickly in the skin.
- Its dual action formula help scavenge free radicals.
Important to Know
- The most important character to know about the Rodan and Felds self-tanner is that it dries quickly which is why it is particularly mentioned on the packaging that complete one area thoroughly before starting the process on any other area of your body.
- You need to take special care while applying the product, make sure you don’t touch any clothing until the sunless tanner gets completely dried on your skin.
- Don’t make your body wet by bathing or swimming after applying the Rodan and Fields sunless tanner, you need to wait at least an hour after the application.
- Use a sunscreen with SPF 30 or higher while exposing your skin to sun in order to keep your skin protected.
2. St Tropez Self Tanner
No doubt, St Tropez provide the best self-tanners, you just have to decide the suitable one as per your requirement. We have given space to St Tropez Self tan Bronzing lotion in our chosen products. It definitely brings a deep and rich tan to your skin and is rightfully said to be made by salon inspired formula.
The prominent features of St Tropez self-tanner are as follows.
- The product gives a long lasting and natural appearance.
- St Tropez self-tanner being infused with Aloe Vera proves to be healthy for your skin.
- Comes with the aroma guard technology which means the self-tan aroma gets eliminated 70%.
- This self-tanning lotion has a subtle fragrance which appears to be very refreshing for the consumer.
- The product is safe to use since it comes with DHA which is eco-cert approved. Contains natural tanning agents only.
- The product is a bit harder, you need to be a little cautions while applying.
- The lotion takes almost 4 to 8 hours to hydrate and develop a lasting tan on your skin.
- Delivers perfect sun-kissed or natural looking brown color as a tan. Saves you from getting all orangey after applying the self-tanner.
- Gives you an effect just like tanning salons but in lesser price.
- This sunless tanning lotion is suitable for all skin types.
- Leaves streaks, if not applied properly.
Important to Know
- The most important thing you need to consider before applying the product is the condition of your skin. Avoid applying on broken or irritated skin.
- This self-tanner might leave stains on your furnishings. Make sure you don’t get your things stained.
- Keep the product away from your eyes and lips.
- Another imperative thing to know about St Tropez self-tanner, is that the product does not provide sun protection which means you need to apply a sunscreen of good SPF to keep your skin protected from sunburn. Exposing your skin to sun without using sunscreen, after the application of tanning lotion, endangers your skin to premature aging.
- Keep your skin dry after four hours of application of the product.
- For best coverage, wait for the product to completely dry before getting dressed.
3. Jergens Self Tanner
If you want to make your skin tan in a shorter period of time then you need to look for an inexpensive yet high quality self-tanner. Jergens sunless tanning mousse is an excellent pick in this regard. Its natural formula proves to be exceptionally beneficial and effective for people with extremely pale skin.
Here is an overview of the features of Jergens Sunless Tanning Mousse.
- The product delivers instant results, giving skin the natural looking tan color.
- Works best on fair and medium light skin tones.
- The product comes with airy formula which results in giving an even and precise color to your skin.
- Jergens self-tanner dries pretty quickly. You don’t need to wait for hours after application for the self-tanner to get dried.
- Keeps your skin free from orange shade.
- Delivers flawless natural color without any hassle of waiting.
- Capable to work on all sort of skin types.
- Pleasant fragrance.
- Easy to apply and dries quickly.
- The product is a bit sticky.
Important to Know
- Before the application of Jergens sunless tanning mousse, apply Jergens primer on your skin to achieve best results.
- To get even color, apply the product on primed body.
- The important thing to know while applying the product is that only apply once for natural looking color, if you want to get a deeper shade of color on your skin apply the product next day.
- You can extended the color up to 7 days by taking proper care and applying Jergens tan extenders daily moisturizer.
- Keep your hands protected from getting stained while applying the sunless tanner.
4. Clarins Self-Tanning Instant Gel
Looking for a sunless tanning gel which is safe to use and bring out healthy color in the consumer’s skin? Try Clarins self-tanning gel and get your desired result. Just as it name indicates, the product has instant formula which gives you quick results without having to wait for hours for the product to dry.
Following are the prominent features of Clarins Self-tanning Instant Gel.
- The product in lightweight and non-oily.
- Instantly delivers a golden tan color without exposing your skin to sunlight.
- Gets absorbed pretty quickly.
- The products gives results within two hours of application.
- The Clarins self-tanning instant gel helps in maintaining a year round tanned look.
- The product contains botanical ingredients including Aloe Vera, Shea tree and Silver Birch which makes it a safe, healthy and effective product to use on your skin even if you have sensitive skin.
- Its light weight formula saves the consumer to wait before dressing up after the application of the gel.
- Easily blend able on your skin.
- Gives even brown color to your skin and keeps your skin saved from orangey streaks.
- Makes your skin pleasantly soft due to its soothing plant extract ingredients.
- Fades quickly, if not maintained properly.
Important to Know
- If you want to get a deeper shade of tan, apply frequently. The important thing to know about Clarins self-tanning instant gel is, the product gives a subtle, quite natural look if applied occasionally. If you have really pale skin, you need to apply at least two coats to get tan.
- For the tan effect to last longer, shave and exfoliate your legs.
- It is vital to use the product cautiously around ankles and foot area.
Benefits of Sunless Tanning
By now, every one of us is aware of the potential risks exposure to UV radiation may cause which I why we can all agree that using sunless tanners are the safest possible way to get the tan color. Here is just a quick summary of benefits of sunless tanning.
- Sunless tanning helps you in avoiding scarring, painful and unwise sunburn.
- Sun tanning exposes you to skin cancer due to the ultraviolet radiations. Sun exposure causes a risk of cell carcinoma whereas sunless tanning is harmless.
- Using tanning bed tremendously increase a risk of melanoma, a type of fatal skin cancer.
- Sunless tanners saves you from premature aging.
- Sunless tanning products help in covering up the unwanted, unpleasant and unattractive tan lines on your body.
- Sunless tanners make your freckles look less obvious.
- Sunless tanning has made it easier for pale skinned people to achieve a natural looking tan color.
- Sunless tanning saves time and is hassle free as compared to spending hours in sun for a tan effect
- You can even cover blemishes, scars and uneven skin tone with the help of sunless tanners.
Tanning has always been popular among women in United States. But, with the rising popularity of safe and efficient methods of self-tanning, one can easily witness the predominant inclination of women towards self-tanning. Using a self-tanner has become a trendy ritual among young girls and ladies.